Adding contacts - via .CSV file upload
PROPER .CSV FORMAT:
(".csv" file stands for "comma delimited values" which are values separated by a comma.)
Navigate to your "Contacts Screen" and select "Upload Contacts" from the "Manage Contacts" drop down.
1. Confirm your contact's consent.
2. Simply drag and drop the .csv file onto the screen.
The upload tool supports raw a single .csv file or a zipped .csv file. It is recommended that you keep the file size to a maximum of 25MB.
3. You can then customize the contact fields.
Make sure there is exactly one field labeled 'email'. There cannot be multiple contact field labels that use 'email'. The system will auto-detect existing contact fields as well as the following:
Here are some example values for these fields:
Additional, Custom Contact Fields are available on PRO plans.
At the minimum the .csv file can simply be a column of email addresses:
4. Then choose to add the contacts to either an existing static list or create a new static list for the contacts to be added to. This is also the step during which you can choose the final status of your uploaded contacts.
Larger files may take some time to process.
- Your column names cannot contain spaces. So a column called "first name" instead of "firstname" will not be accepted by our system.
- If you have a Microsoft Excel file you can save the file to .csv by choosing Save As and choosing the .csv extension.
- If you are using a Mac computer, you will need to convert the file to CSV before uploading it.
- List and segment names have a limit of 128 characters
Adding contacts - via Quick Add
To manually add a single contact to your account go to your Contacts Screen and click on "Add Contacts". Or go to this screen. Quick Add tool is on the right.
The minimum required field is "Email". Once the contact is on the account you can edit addition contact fields. You must check "I confirm these contacts have consented to receive my communications".
Adding contacts - via HTTP API and SMTP Relay
Contact List - Upload Filtering
Our system automatically validates contacts that are uploaded to our system. This is a very useful feature of Elastic Email which helps to provide better lists for our clients. Basically, we provide the user with the option to "clean" the data they are uploading to us. We run a script that compares and tests the addresses uploaded to our system.
When you upload contacts, on the last step, you are provided with information about how many contacts were uploaded as Active, Inactive, Invalid and Unsubscribed and why they were uploaded as such.